Members learned that the treatment process takes about 24 hours, before the water is made is available to the public. The water comes from the Illinois River and local wells in the Peoria area.
The tour included a view from the observatory, where the clarification process begins. Members visited the lab, and also learned how the water turbidity is reduced as it is processed.
Horstman discussed the history of Pump Station #1, Pump Station #2 and the Main Well which were built in 1890 and were placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1980. The buildings during that time were fashioned after the Romanesque Revival Style architecture, which include the well-known gargoyles atop of Pump Station #1. The pump stations are still in use today.
OLLI would like to thank Lori Horstman and Illinois American Water for a wonderful tour of the facility.