The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Bradley University (OLLI) is a group of more than 1,000 individuals, age 50 and over, who learn together through three distinct programs: OLLI Classes, OLLI Learning Trips, and OLLI Study Groups.
Here, members can discuss what they learned, what they enjoyed, and offer suggestions to enhance future program offerings.
Take a look at the photos we're taking, and the discussions we're having as OLLI members.
Whether we're in class, in town, or out of town ... we're on the go, having fun, and constantly learning.
We look forward to reading your comments!
While you're online, be sure to visit our website www.bradley.edu/continue/olli to register for our programs.
Don't forget -- OLLI has its own YouTube Channel, where you can see video clips of Learning Trips, Classes, and Study Groups!
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
A Day in St. Louis -- Friday, April 23, 2010
Terese Bolla, expert on St. Louis' hidden gems (and wife of our Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs) was our guide as we spent a day exploring some of the city’s fascinating sites.
The day began with a private tour of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, best known for its large mosaic installation and burial crypts. The Cathedral was designated a basilica by Pope John Paul II on April 4, 1997.
Next, we took private tours of the Museum of Contemporary Religious Art (MOCRA), and the Samuel Cupples House and Gallery, both located on the campus of St. Louis University.
MOCRA is the world's first interfaith museum of contemporary art that engages religious and spiritual themes. The current exhibition, Good Friday, includes works by over 30 artists of diverse backgrounds who have used the events of the day of Jesus’ death as inspiration for their own reflections on such themes as faith, suffering, loss, compassion, and unconditional love. Cupples House, a historic 42-room, castle-like mansion, is a rare example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in St. Louis and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Following a drive through the neighborhoods of Lafayette Square and Soulard, we dined at the fabulous Soulard's Restaurant and Bar. OLLI thanks Dan Badock and his staff for a warm welcome and wonderful food!
OLLI ended the day with a tour of the Old Historical Courthouse, and tram ride to the top of the St. Louis Arch.
For more information about the sites we toured, please visit these websites:
Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis
Samuel Cupples House
Old Historical Courthouse and St. Louis Arch
- ► 2014 (120)
- ► 2013 (80)
- ► 2012 (63)
- ► 2011 (79)
- Case International Harvest Plant -- April 29, 2010...
- Civil War Tour, Day 2 -- April 28, 2010
- The Civil War Tour, Day 1 -- April 27, 2010
- A Day in St. Louis -- Friday, April 23, 2010
- Italian Ethnic Dinner -- Wednesday, April 21, 2010...
- OLLI Endowment Announcement -- Wednesday, April 21...
- Illinois Historical Water Museum -- Thursday, Apri...
- Ropp Jersey Cheese and Twin Groves Wind Farm -- Tu...
- Larry Kanfer Gallery and Frasca International -- T...
- Peoria County Sheriff's Department and County Jail...
- OSF Milestone Project -- Wednesday, April 28, 2010...
- United States District Courthouse -- Thursday, Mar...
- Rock Island Arsenal and John Deere Experience -- F...
- ▼ April (13)